Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Our Playroom

I fnally am starting to get some pictures put up of our house. :)
Nope, we're still not done. Just a bunch of little things to do, and a bunch of decorating to do. But that all takes time, and I better not wait til everything is perfect, or you'll never see pictures. :)
Here is our playroom. One of the cutest rooms in the house, in my opinion. :)
It used to be the "wine cellar", we're guessing, from the previous owners. The man had made some rough shelves, and there was good evidence of grape/juice spills to think that was what it was. (he made his own wine from the grape arbor in the back)
We were going to just leave this under the stairs area for a winter project...but we had some drywall and insulation that had to get out of the way, extra carpet and paint etc. - plus James was starting to work from home, which meant if the toys could be put somewhere else, and the children had a fun place to play, that would be helpful. :)
So, here you go. 
 
BEFORE: 

AFTER:
 
 The view from "the adult side" of life. :)
Isn't the paint colors fun! :)
The leftover green is from our guest room, and the blue paint was a mistint from Lowes. James did an amazing job of fixing the 2x4's, insulating, re-wiring, drywallimg, mudding and sanding...  and I got the fun part - painting. :)
Those blessed shelves were leftovers from the Windmill's old shelving system.
You know me - I. Love. Shelves.  
 A neat "God providing" story is about the chalkboard paint. :)
 Just one of those little things that God does, that you're thankful for... I had told our next door neighbor about wanting to do a chalkboard on the one side, and she had some extra paint for me to use -leftover from their home's previous owners. That worked out perfectly, and cut our very minimal cost down even more.
The bench had been in here when it was the wine cellar - we just fixed it up, sanded it down a bit, and painted it. Works perfect for the kid's toys. :)  
The celing works perfect for the kids for now - Katy will have a year or so before she hits the ceiling, but then she can duck. :) I enjoy being in there with them, so, if an almost 8.5 month expectant momma can fit in, so can they, when they're older.
The banner is made from scrapbook paper, yarn and cardstock I had - making it kinda cute. :)
And NO - the playroom doesn't look like this all the time.
It's a playroom. :)
But, it's easy to clean up, everything has a place, and now I can easily weed through extra toys and throw, throw, throw away when need be.
So there you go - the first "new house tour".
Can't wait to show you more, when I um.....clean up the floors upstairs...and do some decorating. :)

5 comments:

  1. It's just perfect, Lizzy! I love the colouring: fun, spunky, but not overwhelming.

    Great job! Can I play there, please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, such a cute little room! And I love the chalkboard idea. So neat God provided it free for you! That stuff is expensive! Someday I'd like to do a chalkboard wall in our house somewhere...someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Lydia, it's perfect. The colors, the banner, the chalkboard, the shelves. Love it all. I love how you created such a special space out of an old cellar. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and organized and fun! Nicely done, Liz! Love how you re-purposed things like the bench and shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud of you sis for your labors of love in making that dark dingy place come alive with colour, whimsy and a place for everything.
    Love,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete