Friday, April 26, 2013

Day 110 {My Afternoon}

Just before Christmas last year, I was challenged by dear Nel, to get back into my own personal time with the Lord. I had been doing sorta okay for a while, but after we bought the house, did the reno's, that time with Jesus was gone. Not gone, because there wasn't time, but gone, because I forgot.
I know. That's sad. I do have "Bible Time" with the children almost every day, but I was putting my projects over reading His Words to me.
So now, I've made it a habit, that as soon as the kids are down for the nap/quiet time, I take that time to read the Bible. No, it's not as spiritual as getting up early. (or at least, it doesn't sound that spiritual) :) But to me, it's kinda my firstfruit of my time - as my alone time when the kids are down - is rather precious. I force myself to leave the dishes, whatever mess, or whatever it is that I'm doing, to read. 
Honestly, while I'm so thankful I'm doing it, I do struggle with my keeping my mind on what I'm reading; it's often on those projects, the people I want to call, the mess to clean up, and, oh dear - what's for supper....? I'm not focused a lot of the time. But I do love reading the stories in His Word, and right now I'm in 1 Samuel. I had been in the New Testament for a while, and was hungering for some of David's life .
Maybe it looks more spiritual than it should. It was a rainy day - I've been fighting a cold/sore throat, so I made tea for ME - a rare thing, and lit my new candle that I bought for a steal... those were special gifts. :) And I enjoyed it. It was my "me" time.  Usually, the house is a mess, and the kids are calling for a drink, or "can I get up now".... but that's life.  
If you're struggling, like me, to take that time specifically for God - do it. Face it. We all have time. It's just what we are going to give up to do it.
So I'm learning, very slowly, to choose what's important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment