Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Amazing Cuba Trip

So, after months of talking and thinking about Anne-Marie's upcoming girl's birthday trip...I joined Mom, Anne-Marie and Charissa in Cuba! For a week - just girls! 
Anne-Marie had been thinking about this for ages, but I just didn't know if I'd make it. Leave the kiddo's and best guy ever behind? Without me? Can they survive without me? I am after all, indispensable right? :) Yeah - nope. :) Reality check. They would be just fine -thanks to amazing sister-in-law's who shared the job of looking after different kiddo's, and an awesome hubby who let me go, and watched the kids too. So, off I went!
In the Toronto airport - without a diaper bag - but a camera bag! :) I just brought my back up - Canon Rebel to the island. It was strange to walk around with nothing to do while waiting for my flight. 
The flight was great, and I got to the island around 8:30- and after the passport/entrance clearance stuff, and an hour and a bit of driving - made it to the resort where the girl's were waiting for me around 11ish p.m. So exciting to be there!
First glimpses of what it looked like in the morning, since it was dark when we woke up. 
Breakfast! :) How was the food? Typical Cuban - good, but not a fan of much meat there, but they had so many other great things to pick, it was great. 
The girl's who's dreams finally became a reality!

She is just good at modeling. :) What can I say?
Yup- no model - but interesting background. :) 

Each evening we went to one of their resturants - Mexican, Oriental, Romantico (whatever that is!) and Italiano. Mexican and the Oriental were our favorites. :) 
Sisters. :) 
The girls got some fresh coconut from the gardener's while we there. I don't really care for it myself, but a fun experience. This is Frank - one of the many workers. 

And yes - white sand and blue water - and a blue sky. Sigh - perfection. :) 
The weather was perfect while we were there - so thankful!
This is Cashew - the dolpin we went swimming with one afternoon. 

We got to touch, and dance, and all that great stuff with the dolphin. 
Rather cute!
And he wasn't slimy like I thought he'd be - a nice surprise. 
About to be kissed. 

Magical water
Mom took all the pictures -which was great of her!  We didn't have to pay to get the images from the pro. photographer, and still got enough good images that are great to look back at. :) 
Think that's me riding the dolphin. 


Walking around the dolphin place, before watching a dolphin show. 

Here it goes - neat to see these two dolphins snchronized. 


Perfecto timing. 
The Sports building - where Charissa played a bunch of games - ping-pong etc.  It was just around the corner from our building. 
At one of the many dinners we enjoyed. 
Playing in the waves. Dear Annie - had brought 3 water air mattresses along to use, which was fun. 
 Walking to the beach - momma is such a good picture taker. :) 

The girls bringing some lunch back for me. :) 
Grilled sandwhich on the beach. 
A quieter day on the beach. 
We had a few good reading times - I brought along 4 books and a photography magazine - I read 2 books, and the magazine, so not too bad. :) I really wanted to spend some time thinking and reading about parenting and home-schooling, and while I didn't get as much time in I as thought possible (as always!) the stuff I read was very good.  (the 2 books I read were: "For This Reason" - by Susan Schaffer and "Glimspes of Grace" -treasuring the Gospel in your home)
On a few of the days, we had the most glorious waves, that we jumped, swam, and dove in. LOVED it!
Charissa - getting her reading done. :)

Missing my man. :) 
I was thankful - that though I did miss him and the kids a bit, I didn't not enjoy my time. I was able to enjoy the time away. 
This girl's birthday night! We went bowling before dinner. 
Doing her stuff. 
Either this lane was really whacked - off kilter - or we just played really weird. 
This man, thought we were great, but bad bowlers, and laughed a lot at us!
The birthday girl at dinner. 


Anne-Marie and our waitress' birthdays were one day apart. :) 
We got a cake for her - which was great. 
At the market at the end of the resort. They had some neat stuff - mostly great tourist stuff, but fun to look through. 
Pretty girl on our balcony. 
Our matching shirts -before going swimming. 
 Isn't my mom just gorgeous :)
Us three sister's nails. :) 

Anne-Marie's toes matched the ocean. 
Walking around the gorgeous resort - La Melias Las Dunas
We went back to the Mexican Resturant a few nights alter, and saw the waitress Melia, again, and met her husband who also works as a waiter there. Thought that was so neat. Most people are divorced, or seperated - they have no time for each other with their long work days, so when you see a couple that at least works together, pray that their marriage will have a chance. 

Lovely presentation of the desserts. 
Us three girls went on an excursion with about 30 others, to the mountains one day - took about three hours to get that far inland. It was beautiful, and so neat to see more of Cuba - and what it looks like for them in the country. 
We stopped by this little roadstop for a sandwhich snack. 

The chickens walked around us as we ate. :)
The bus we used for excurions and from back and forth to the airport. 
The little place where we stopped. 

After a bit more travleing, we got on these Russian trucks, that took us to the park where we hiked. They were great - fast, and exciting. :) 
A little market
A Cuban farm
At the park - where coffee was grown as well - these are coffee beans. 
Anne-Marie and the delicious banana's.
Doing what they do well- natural selfies. :) 
The waterfall pictures : )


Bamboo tree's. 

My creative shot of the day. :) 
A baby hummingbird - so sweet!
After a bit of walking, our group split in two, and our half went on a water adventure, while the others walked the trail, and we met up with them at a lagoon. So we had a blast, jumping off waterfalls, walking through the river, and swimming. So fun!

Jumping  off a hill - which really - it is higher than it looks. :) Didn't know if I'd clear the bushes at the top!

Little mushrooms growing. 

Charissa and her mule selfie. :)
This is where we had a late lunch - before starting the 3 hour trip back to the resort where we met mom for supper. 
At our house - building 38. 



Anne-Marie and Francisco. He was a beach worker that Charissa met while reading her bible on the beach one day. We found out that him, and his friend, were Christians, and was glad to get the Spanish New Testaments we had brought.  Some people from our church gave me a bunch of little gifts to give out to the poorer workers at the resort; that was neat to hand them out. 


Erik had picked out some toy cars to give away to the Cuban children, so I took this picture for him of Francisco holding the cars that he was going to give to his little boy. 
Francisco, had to work 23 days straight (12+ hour days) to get 2 days off to go visit his little boy in Trinidad. 
I'd have to say, it wasn't the poverty that made me feel sad, but more that they are mostly stuck, - that they can't leave, and it almost feels like you're taking advantage of them. You know that while you eat your supper, they are eating rice and beans. When  you ask the waitress, "what do you reccommend?", they divert the answer as they probably haven't tasted the entree's. But through it all, they are such a happy people.
The way to the beach. 
Isn't this just gorgeous?? :) 
Getting some ice-cream before our last trip to the market, a couple hours before it was good-bye time. 
This was Charissa and my room - a bit messy, but it was just before we left. :) 
 One last picture before they left for the airport.
Here they go - we said goodbye, I watched them get on the bus, and cried some tears.
 The guy smiling beside me, tried to console me after they left... :) 
While I waited for my bus, I walked around, gave the rest of the bibles, and gifts away, went swimming, reading, and then got ready to leave. 

I have to admit - I just loved being around all that water for a whole week. 
Close to the market entrance. 
Attempt at a selfie... 
Took this picture for a friend, who makes these bare feet flip flops :) 
One last time down the walkway - the frangrance at this spot always reminded of the caragana's at the  farm in sprintgime - so lovely.
Then back at the bus, and I began our trip to the airport. 
Some of the cars on the roads. 

Laundry on a rooftop. 
And then back on the plane, and back to James!
I was sooo excited to get back to him and the kids! The best part about leaving is coming home!!
Loved the trip and the chance it was to relax, refresh and get ready for the next part of life. 

1 comment:

  1. Love, love all these pictures Liz!! What an amazing trip for you four, so glad you went and treasured that time. You are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete