Friday, November 12, 2010

Just Imagine...

On Monday, we went visiting. To two different older woman in different retirement/nursing homes. The first one is a woman who still keeps up with the happenings, makes it out to the church services at our chapel every week, and is quite chipper. Katelyn had fun playing with her teddies and walking around her appartment.
The second was a woman, who appears to have less time on earth. When you walk through the floor on the level she's on - Canary Path - you feel so saddened by the state, people end life in. Confused minds, crumbling bodies, and the ever present nursing home/hospital smell surround each one of them. Nevertheless, this godly woman welcomed us to her room eagerly, glad for visitors - I can't imagine how lonely everyone gets here. She is mostly still mentally with it, though acknowledges her forgetfulness as it's getting worse. Her hands and feet are crippled and swollen, stuck in an electric wheelchair. The sights and sounds of this place make me feel like withdrawing. I've never been great at nursing homes. Outwardly I appear calm and happy, but I really don't like the smells, sounds, dirtiness, and challenges that come with getting old. James on the other hand is so at ease with older people - a great encouragement to me - making others feel special. I must say though, that bringing Katelyn with us makes it a ton easier. Everyone lights up when they see a little child being drawn like a magnet to the little life that's just beginning, while their life is fading away.
After our lovely visit, we said goodbye and walked down toward the elevator. I stopped when I heard some music that sounded different... and heard the words, like "glory" that clued me in that it was a 'Christian' song. I started to tear up as I heard the words to a song of hope. "I Can Only Imagine." A contrast...
The woman in the room looked like she was asleep, or at least listening peacefully as the music from the radio played the music of heaven and how incredible it will be. Such a contrast from life at a nursing home. As the woman we had just visited stated, this was her last move - her last home on earth. From here, it's heaven. Kinda sad for us earthlings, but for her, so glorious. But wow, what a hope!
(photo by Robert Nilson) :)
I can only imagine What it will be like When I walk By your side
I can only imagine What my eyes will see When your face Is before me
I can only imagineI can only imagine
Chorus:
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in honour of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagineI can only imagine
I can only imagine When that day comes
When I find myself Standing in the Son
I can only imagine When all I will do Is forever Forever worship You
I can only imagine

A contempory song, but it does capture some of the awe of imagining heaven and seeing Christ - being free from our dying bodies, weariness and hurt. I thought it was neat.... :)

3 comments:

  1. I had tears as I read your last post. I see this several times a week as I visit Granpa and Gramma in the home in Milk River. So many do not have any visitors, so I know how much joy you must have brought to those people. What a hope we have in Heaven. Life is so short! Thank-you for being the precious daughter and friend that you are! God bless you today! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too Lizzy was blessed by this post! You have such a special way of communicating truth in such a clear, beautiful way! You three must have been such a ray of sunshine to those dear, elderly ones! Grateful for how you give to others and show the love of Christ to so many!!
    Love you guys!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too ... blessed and re-flecting. So very true. Thanks for the reminder. Love ya. Heather

    ReplyDelete