Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Date Night at a Concert

James took me on a lovely date a few weekends ago - to a concert by the Collingsworth Family. It was held in Simcoe. We weren't sure what to expect, although we have enjoyed some of their recorded music so we knew what they did musically. But it was a wonderful concert. So neat to see a family seeing together, wearing appropriate clothing, seeing smiles and hearing excellent musicianship. But what James and I got out of the concert most of all, was seeing how, especially the mother and a daughter, they worshiped the Lord in sincerity, and in humility. After all that is what music is supposed to be about, right? Praising God with your whole heart; and in the congregation of the righteous, blessing the Lord.
But for some reason, though when we get together with other believers at least once weekly to worship the Lord, most of us have trouble expressing true worship with our soul: mind, will and emotions. We may be worshipping, but we don't want to show it. Pride I believe is what that's called. I'm not talking about waving your hands around, swaying back and forth - though some may choose to worship that way - but I'm talking about not looking like you wish you were somewhere else when you're singing directly to the Lord. Worship is forgetting all about us, what we look like or how we appear to look, and seeing only Jesus. It's alright if you let those tears of thankfulness come, and if when you play your instruments you do it with your whole heart instead of barely moving a stitch as you plunk out the right notes. I'm not trying to say, get others to see you - for NO, that is so wrong. Being a distraction when you're worshipping is what I've always tried to guard myself against. But when you are truly worshipping the Lord in truth and in spirit, and someone perhaps see you singing with your soul, it will often just be a mirror, causing the onlooker to re-focus and look to the Lord.
I'm not saying that this concert was a perfect concert. :) But it was one of those rare ones, where James and I were both challenged by some of the music, and to be reminded again how beautiful it is to see someone expressing their soul to God with all their might. And especially to see women do it in a pure way. So much of this so-called worship industry has sensual women on the stage, often taking the glory from God; so to see that a submissive wife can exalt the King of kings without bringing shame or distraction, was encouraging.
Anyways, just a little challenge to myself here. :) I'm not trying to promote anyone here, for maybe some of you would go to a concert like this and be very disappointed, but I'm just reminding myself and anyone who ever reads this little corner of my world to worship our God with our whole beings, and to
"...Make His Praise Glorious..."
" Worship is the point at which all of life converges, it is a fountain from which all of life emerges."

(the video below is of the two daughters playing a violin duet accomp. by their mom) A uplifting version of "The Wonderful Grace of Jesus". -and yes, seeing good musicians inspired me to keep working at...something. :)

1 comment:

  1. Truer words could not be spoken Liz! I love to worship God by lifting my hands and moving to the music as you call it. :) Sometimes, I get frustrated whenI see people sitting on their hands when they sing but I have to be reminded that as long as the heart is lifted up in worship the outside is not what's important. Thanks for posting!!!!
    Erin Coates

    ReplyDelete